Sunday, December 30, 2007

Will High Definition be the final blow to broadcast television?

Sometime in 2009 all analog television broadcast will cease, though it could be argued that high definition is also analog. Today an article said that half of US homes have a digital television, which means half do not. I have not decided whether to just let my television go black (or snowy white). With the government auctioning off the bandwidth there will be no going back. With DVD’s and internet videos I may instead just hook the television with a permanent connection to the internet. It also may help me be more creative and better use my personal time since I will need to plan my viewing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The move to HDTV sounds like the Blu-ray / DVDHD push - a big marketing scam to sell more hardware.

Anonymous said...

It IS a marketing scam. You need another set-top converter box. And that will become obsolete so you'll have to buy another. And that will become obsolete.........ad infinitum.

Ronman