Tuesday, December 4, 2007

It must be hard to be Customer Service

I had yet another software failure because of a Microsoft Update. This time it was Sonic DigitalMedia Plus the software that came with my HP to burn CD’s and DVD’s. I went to the Sonic web site which was down and used Google stored copy to find their phone number. I asked if they were still in business which they did not find funny. But since they had no working web site they did not hang up since I guess nobody else was calling to buy things. They do not support the software unless you buy it directly from them. HP is responsible for supporting it. They did offer to sell me a copy. So I fired off an email to HP who had no idea what to do other than restore it from the original file, which did not work. Though technically if I reloaded the operating system and did not allow for an update and did not reload Office I guess it would work. But since the whole purpose is to burn backups of the documents I create with Office I would no longer need it. I did notice latter that if you hold down the esc key after about 100 error messages the program does come up. I am not sure if it still works but I guess I could waste a CD and find out. The solution I found is that some of the Microsoft Software will burn a CD. Kind of weird that Microsoft took out their competitor’s software. Given the number of patches and the complexity of these programs it is surprising more stuff does not break. Sonic is so much easier to use they may actually come out ahead as users pay for an upgrade. I have pretty much stopped making backups which I hope does not come back to haunt me.

No comments: