Thursday, December 27, 2007

Government subsidizing Telemarketers

Yesterday I had to file a government form locally. I was puzzled by the request because it duplicates a state filing. I assume the requirement dates back a hundred years ago when state and local governments had no easy way to communicate. I was also amazed to see them use an accounting accuracy method I had not seen in decades. I pointed it out to my colleague, who looked at me wondering why I was amazed. It was like I had stepped back in the time before computers. I had assumed decades ago when I saw it still being used by a clerk who was retiring I would never see it again. So other than a loss of time and twenty dollars what harm could filling out a redundant form have? This morning the telemarketing calls began. Telemarketers armed with information only available on that form. So I have found two important services my local government office offers; museum and telemarketing services.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you mean subsidizing? Kind of like how your site subsidizes Google with the ads (but adds limited user benefit...)?

David Cartmel said...

So much for spell check. Since nobody has clicked any ads Google has not made any money. They pay for hosting and support of the web code. So at this point they are subsidizing me. As for limited user benefit that is crul3e.

Anonymous said...

Now you will have to endure being on "their" shared list (with NO hope of an exit). So you can ..subsidize..the snail mail and phone co. with your time as the "list" buyers play "let's junk up this guy's life".

Whereas, a few Ad Sense displays by Google are easily ignored and can be removed with a few clicks when you chose to do so.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.