Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ultimate Metal Detector

Metal detectors are like exercise equipment and boats. They sound great at the time but rarely get used. While I have bought neither, I have bought a metal detector, the top of the line at the time. I found some interesting trash including a skeleton key and the tip of a plow. It ultimately ended up in the closet. I came across this detector and found the web site very appealing. http://www.minelab.com/consumer/page.php?section=268#1 Unfortunately these are the same claims I heard fifteen years ago and though I found a nugget by panning I never found one with a detector. It is difficult to describe something technical and keep it interesting and easy to read so I include this link as a good example of a sales pitch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are no manufacturers of metal detectors that will tell you what depth there machines will go,I have been a keen detectorist for quite a few years,and far from leaving machine in the closset, i am out there as much as I can,and I have made some very interesting finds,and lots of new mates.
Its a great hobby.
But you got to put the time in , you can go out and come back with sweet FA another time some nice Roman coins or other artifacts.
Its a bit like fishing , I have gone out with a group and had some really good finds , but the guy who was with me had nowt that the way it goes.
The truth about metal detectors is all to do with physics,even the most sophisticated detector will only detect a small coin at about ten inches , but a larger coin or artifact may be eighteen inches, depends on soil conditions if it wet or damp you get more depth , item becomes more conductive.
You need to reserch where your going to detect , with permision of course,it helps a lot.
Join a club get some advice, buy the best detector you can afford,Minelab are leaps and bounds ahead of all the manufacturers, dont buy cheap, get out there and enjoy a wonderfull hobby, if you live near a good beaches , gold is over £7 per gram. what are you waiting for