Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Barriers to Innovation

I occasionally see articles for which my research offers a solution. For example yesterday Wired has an article about Boeing’s software development for the Future Combat System having problems. They are trying to manage 95 million lines of code. I developed technology to manage such a system automatically. I have only tested it for a few hundred thousand lines but it never hit the wall. It was a design to allow a single developer to manage deploying a repository and managing terabits of information within minutes for a disaster. Because of its design it actually becomes easier to manage as it gets larger and loses the need for any developers. Trying to contact Boeing was like looking at a high security prison. I was directed to the supplier web page where I needed to apply for a DUNS number, which can take thirty days. I gave up after failing to get over the first fence. I imagine they receive as much junk mail every few minutes as I receive in a life time. We live in a brief moment in technology when a small development group can actually develop broad solutions. But unlike blogs, the one percent of viable technologies does not have Adsense to sort them out from the other 99%.

No comments: