Thursday, July 12, 2007

Do We Need CSS for Database Tables?

For the last few years there has been a push to stop using HTML style and table tags and instead use style sheets (CSS). Style sheets allow centralized control of font styles and page layout and can reduce the size of pages and thus save considerable bandwidth. The main advantage is that you can say less and do more. Yet for databases nothing much has changed in my career. Oracle has come out with yet another release to improve the tools for the relational database model. Can Oracle's Database 11g Deliver? In many ways this is like continuing to support HTML table and style tags without style sheets. The demands for data and the time requirements added to web development continues to increase. Oracle has had a lot of success because the tools they built in the past have made it much easier to use databases. But the advantages from better tools have reached a threshold that means they may actually reduce efficiency because of the learning expense. I remember my company upgrading its Oracle servers in 2002 and suddenly all my web pages doubled in speed. The timing was perfect. Now if Oracle can help me with my SQL, like the statement that I just finished in two weeks, which should have taken three days.

No comments: