Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Next Big Product?

Seeking a Niche, Companies Try New Web-to-TV Technologies Are web TV boxes going to replace cable boxes? I watch movies on my computer using Netflix and Vongo and when I saw this article I realized how easy it will be to make the transition to TV. The quality is not as good as DVD, but if you can surf the web in addition to watching the entertainment value greatly increases. I realized I could build such a box. Vista has the built in program to display on the TV and I was able to connect my laptop and watch an online movie. But the setup was a pain and the cables and laptop sitting in front of the TV was a disaster waiting to happen. The software would be most of the work. That is if you want a cable channel like experience using social networking sites. On my own it would take about two years to have a product that could compete with a cable box. So maybe we will see many competing products in the next few months. I wonder if cable companies see this coming. This could explain the fight between Apple and NBC. NBC leaves Apple for Amazon

No comments: